Welcome to Tallassee Community Library
The Tallassee Community Library first opened in 1921 in what was considered the sunroom of what was then the Scout Club House. The first librarian was the minister of the East Tallassee Methodist Church, the Rev. W. E. Bryant and the library had fewer than 2,000 books. A new wing was added in March of 1978, housing a local museum. The room was remodeled in 1988 and the Mildred Weedon Blount Reading and Reference Room formally opened in November 1989. The Tallassee Community Library has over 26,000 materials in it's collection, 7 public access computers with internet and wireless connectivity and an annual circulation of over 34,000.
The first librarian was the minister of the E. Tallassee Methodist Church, the Rev. W. E. Bryant. In 1922, Miss Mary Lou Martin became the first full time librarian, and continued to serve until her retirement in 1948. She was succeeded by Mrs. Ruby Lanier, who served until 1985. In February of that year, Mr. W. C. Bryant was appointed following Mrs. Lanier's retirement and continued to serve until 1999. Mr. Bryant was succeeded by Mrs. Sharon Kilpatrick, current librarian.
In March of 1978, Tallassee Mills donated the library to the City of Tallassee and the facility became a public library, no longer owned by the Corporation. Before donating it, a new wing was added on the south end of the building. This wing for some time housed a local museum under the direction of Mr. W. G. Eubanks. In 198, plans were initiated by the library board to turn the museum wing into a reading and reference room. With two grants from the Mildred Weedon Blount Educational and Charitable Foundation, Inc., the room was remodeled, refurnished, and named the Mildred Weedon Blount Reading and Reference Room. It was formally opened in November 1989. The building appears today as it was remodeled in the late 60's.
Copying & Faxing
Public Internet Access
Genealogy & Reference